Skillet Chicken with Apple-Dijon Sauce
– 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
– Salt and pepper (to taste)
– 2 golden delicious apples, each cored and cut into 6 rings
– 1 small onion, sliced
– ¾ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
– 2 tbsp. maple syrup
– 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard (with seeds)
– 1/3 cup skim milk or unsweetened original almond milk
– 1 tsp. cornstarch (may need a little more to thicken)
- Place chicken breasts in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Cook 6-7 minutes or until browned on both sides and chicken loses pink color throughout, turning over once.
- When cooked through, transfer chicken to plate/platter and cover with tin foil to keep warm
- While chicken is cooking, in a glass pie plate, combine apples and onions. Cover with waxed paper and microwave on high 3-4 minutes until tender, stirring in between.
- Add apple mixture to skillet, cook 2 minutes or until browned,
- Add chicken broth, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and ¼ tsp. salt.
- Cook 2 minutes to reduce broth mixture slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine milk with cornstarch and stir into apple mixture
- Return chicken to skillet
- Cook and stir until the sauce has thickened. Serve chicken with apples and spoonful of sauce.