Remember those Saturday mornings when you’d wake up to cartoons and the amazing smell of French toast pouring out of the kitchen? Well, French toast is back; and it’s healthy! (Even if you’re making it for one!) Pair it with some fresh fruit or yogurt to top it off! I created this recipe because A. I needed to figure out how to make French toast for one person and B. I LOVE breakfast, but not the unhealthy refined sugars or breaskfast meats (bacon, sausage, etc.) that are packed with saturated fat. So, in order to still eat what I love without it being a thousand calories, I make a few easy switches anyone can do. The result? Not only was the French toast healthy, but I could add a kick of protein to my breakfast by cooking the extra egg whites! Bye, bye, bacon!
Healthy Twist French Toast
2 slices 100% whole wheat bread (lite around 40-45 calories per slice)
3 egg whites
1/4 cup Egg Beaters (original)
2 packets Stevia
Apple pie spice
Organic maple syrup (use sugar-free as long as it’s made with an all-natural sweetener such as stevia or monk fruit) or Blue Agave Nectar
1. Preheat flat griddle pan on stove (medium heat)
4. Take a piece of bread, lay one side on top of the eggs until coated. Flip and repeat on the other side.
6. Repeat with other piece of bread.
9. After about 2-3 minutes, flip each piece of bread over. (should be slightly browned on cooked side)
10. Continue cooking for about 3-4 more minutes then remove from griddle.
*Each person has a preference when it comes to how “done” they like the bread to be. So, cook it how YOU like it.
12. Once the eggs no longer appear “runny” on top, flip eggs and cook the other side (about an additional 2-3 minutes). Remove from griddle, fold in half onto plate with French toast.
13. Pour and spread maple syrup onto each piece of French toast (about the size of a nickel or quarter).
This recipe is so easy, fast, and great for those cooking only for themselves. However, this can easily be turned into a breakfast for the entire family! Just double or triple the recipe. Better yet, have your kids cook their own French toast and eggs (with your help/supervision of course!). Make it a family affair. 😉
Calories per serving
(with lite bread and 2 tbsp. all natural, sugar-free syrup)~ 180 cal.
(with lite bread and 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup)~ 260 cal.
*pure maple syrup: 2 tbsp= 100 cal., 13 g sugar
Protein: 17 g